Wednesday, 12 April 2017

What Am I Even Doing Here? A NYC Update

Rarely do I share chatty life updates here, but as the halfway mark of my current year long visa approaches, I wanted to sit down and share. How do I begin to make sense of these whirlwind six months in New York City? Let's focus on what exactly I'm doing in NYC...

Jacket and Necklace: H&M | Trousers: Thrifted | Shoes: Penneys/Primark

Firstly, I finally got my job signed off by my sponsor CIEE! So I can finally announce that I'm working with the incredible ethical handbag company Hebe Rose New York! While my focus with them is digital marketing and PR, I've been doing a little bit of everything! On any given day you could catch me running around the Garment District picking out fabrics; pulling inspiration looks from fashion magazines; or meeting influencers who could promote the brand. Think Devil Wears Prada but with far friendlier people! So far my highlight was the Brand Reveal, which was attended by a bunch of cool influencers who I identified and invited. It's my first job in the fashion industry, and I'm getting a real insight into how it all ticks over.

But I'm also getting a taste for the fashion industry from another angle: as a photographer's assistant to NYC fashion photographer Joseph Chen. At this job, I'm learning each and every detail that goes into making a beautiful image. From location scouting and securing permits to hauling lighting equipment around the location to retouching and colour grading the final images. It's been an intense few months, but worth it for how much I'm learning.

And on top of working those two gigs, I also do a lot of freelance photography. I recently launched my Facebook page for that so do give it a like if that's your kind of thing. It might sound crazy busy, and it is, but I love each job and I cannot stress enough how much I am learning out here. All thanks to opportunities I just would not have gotten back in Ireland.

From this post it seems as everything is going swimmingly, and in a lot of ways, it is. But, real talk: New York is tough. Tougher than I ever imagined it could be. But it's all part of the experience. I needed toughing up anyway.

Follow my New York adventure on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment