Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Visa Talk: 4 Things to Do in Your First Week in the States

If you've secured yourself a visa to the States, congratulations, the hard part is done. But don't get too lax quite yet. There's still a bit of life admin you've got to sort out to make this your new home! Having just lived my first week in NYC, I wanted to share the things you should sort out in your first week in the USA. Tick one major thing off your to-do list a day and you'll be sorted in no time!



Day 1: Unpack

If I hadn't had unpacked my bag on that first night I arrived, bleary-eyed, at my Airbnb, I know I would still be living out of my suitcase. Thankfully, I mustered up to motivation to unpack that night, and it meant that the next morning, I felt that I was waking up in my new home. So whether your first night sleep is at a hotel, Airbnb, or a long-term apartment, get unpacked ASAP. With your possessions scattered around your room, it'll feel one hundred times more homely, helping beat any homesickness you might be feeling.

Day 2: Register for SEVIS

Within 10 days of your visa start date, you need to call your sponsor and register for SEVIS. If you're an Irish grad, your sponsor is probably CIEE, call them on +1 (888) 268 6245. All the details you'll need to have are on your DS-2019 form, which is most likely stapled into your passport, so have that to hand and it'll be a painless process. It's best to keep your sponsor on your good side, you don't want them chasing up after you, so just get this out of the way on your second day in the States.

Day 3: Meet a Fellow Expat

Even if you've journeyed to your new destination with a companion by your side, I would recommend grabbing a coffee with someone whose been through it all before. You probably already know someone living in the city you've moved to - there are loads of expats living in the States. If not, ask your friends back home if they know anyone they can introduce you to. Then meet them for a coffee and ask them for their advice! You'll learn loads by asking someone whose been through it all.



Day 4: Set Up Your Bank Account

Don't worry that you don't have proof of address, you don't seem to need it to open an account in the States! So handy! Just pop in - ideally with two forms of ID - and let them know that you're looking for a no-charge checking account. You may need to wait a little while for an appointment, but it's worth it to get yourself a debit card and bank account in the States. Plus, you can deposit the dollars you took over so you're not carrying around too much cash.

And... You're All Set Up! Almost

You're almost good to go! If it's your first time working in the US, you're also going to need a Social Security Number. You won't be applying for it in your first week though, because it's recommended that you wait ten days after entering the US - and two days after registering for SEVIS - before you apply for one.

So in four days, you're pretty much set up and ready to go! Have I forgotten anything? What is on your to-do list for when you arrive in the US? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment