Tuesday, 22 November 2016

A Cheapskate's Guide to NYC: A Week of Freebies

I am skint. And I'm living in the 11th most expensive city for expats. Ouch. As much as I've wanted to see the sights of New York, I've also had to keep an eye on my cash. This has meant that over the past few weeks I've figured out how to do NYC on a budget. So I give you, a week of free things to do in NYC...


Monday: Walk the High Line


Would you guess that the photos above are taken from a park? The High Line, to be exact. Technically, the High Line is a park, but you don't really go to the High Line for the nature. You go to wander through Manhattan and take in the city's buildings from its High Line's elevated platform. Grab a spot on one of the benches dotted along park with a view of the city and just watch it all speed by.

That said, it does have some gorgeous greenery, which I captured on my summer trip to NYC a few years ago. And it is, of course, totally free to visit.


Tuesday: Visit the 9/11 Museum & Memorial


The 9/11 Memorial and Museum is a must when visiting New York. It is heartbreaking to take in everything. But I think it's important to do, given that the event is such big part of modern history. The memorial itself is free to view. A cascading, infinite waterfall marks where the Twin Towers once stood. When walking around the Memorial, look out for roses, these are tied to victims' names when it's their birthday.

On Tuesdays, you can also get a free ticket into the 9/11 Museum. It's very tough to relearn the happenings of that day, but it's also touching and ultimately a worthwhile way to spend an evening in New York.


Wednesday: Take the ferry to Staten Island

This is one of those "secrets" that every New Yorker knows: the ferry to Staten Island is free! It's a service that is relied on by thousands of commuters with jobs in Manhattan but homes on the island. The route happens to take you past the Statue of Liberty so it's a must!

This is one freebie that I haven't had the chance to do yet - but I'm planning on making the trip soon! I'll be checking the ferry timetable to make sure I don't accidentally board during rush hour when it's uncomfortably jammed.


Thursday: Wander over the Brooklyn Bridge


One of my favourite things to do in NYC is cross the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm big into my photography, and there's so many photo opportunities! Walk from the Manhattan side, towards Brooklyn, and you'll end up in DUMBO. Another spot with an incredible view of the city and, you guessed it, it's great for your Insta-game.


Friday: Visit the MoMA

I love art galleries, especially those dedicated to modern art. So, by default, I love the MoMA. How could I not? Floor upon floor of thought-provoking, surprising, and sometimes downright confusing, modern art. I've yet to visit on this trip - but it was definitely one of my highlights when I visited New York a few years ago.

If you're an art enthusiast like me, pop along on a Friday evening, when the gallery has free entry. You'll need to line up at the Museum’s 54 Street entrance to get your free ticket. The free tickets are released from 4pm but it's recommended that you arrive after 6pm since the lines are crazy-long before that.


Saturday: Explore one of New York's Parks


When you think of New York, skyscrapers might first spring to mind. But surprisingly, New York also does big open spaces pretty damn well. In fact, in my first week living here I spent most of my time in the parks scattered around the city!

Central Park is, of course, a beautiful Manhattan spot that's free to roam. But it's far from the only place in New York City to get your fix of nature. Most notably is Prospect Park in Brooklyn. While Central Park is far better known, the architects who built both are said to prefer Prospect Park. I must say - I think I agree! That said, I'm totally biased. It was the very first place I visited after moving here earlier this month, so it will always have a special place in my heart for that reason alone!


Sunday: Lucky Dip


The thing about New York City is that there's always something new to do. The city never sleeps because the people here never stop hustling. Thus, there's never a day when there's not a new market to browse, exhibition to check out or gig to go to. Time Out has a handy guide of all the free events happening in the city right now - bookmark it and use it when you're next in town.

***

There's plenty to do in NYC on a tight budget. If you've been to NYC, let me know what you got up to - bonus points if it was a freebie!

No comments:

Post a Comment