Tuesday, 19 April 2016

3 Takeaways from Design Conference OFFSET

You'd think that since my day job is all about creating content for conferences, I'd be somewhat bored of them. But working for Web Summit has in no way tainted my love for attending events outside of work. And thank goodness for that, Dublin's design conference OFFSET was an amazing experience that taught me some lasting lessons. Namely...

1. Don't be shy, share your work

Share your work and good things will happen. At least, that's how artist GMUNK sees it. In his talk he urged the audience to publish their creative work, whatever that might be, as it will leave them open to new opportunities.

I needed this reminder... It's so easy to put off sharing personal projects until they are absolutely perfect. But sharing your work and getting feedback is all part of the process. And who knows where you could go by putting yourself out there?

2. You'll suck at first, that's okay

There wasn't one particular speaker that said this, but I love the quote by Finn from Adventure Time in the official OFFSET magazine. Dude, sucking at something is the first step toward being sort of good at something, it reads. How true is that?

Úna Burke alluded to this thought when she showed us her fashion designs from her undergrad degree - she cringed at what she had created back then. Of course, now she's a sort-after leather designer whose pieces are seen on celebrities like Rihanna and Lady Gaga and are on display art galleries. She didn't start out amazing, but she got there eventually. Like all accomplished creatives.

Step one: you suck. Step two: you practice. Step three: you get better. And one day you make it. But not before you've repeated those steps a few thousand times.

3. Set crazy goals, achieve crazy things

If you don't set crazy goals in life, how are crazy things going to happen? Those were the exact words of Seb Lester, the calligraphist with a million Instagram followers. I know because I jotted it down as soon as he said it - I wanted to remember it.

Goals are supposed to be a stretch - that's why it feels so good when you achieve them. Your goal might be crazy, but I can guarantee crazier things have happened. So go for it.

As you can see, I was throughly inspired by OFFSET. You can be assured that I'll be sharing all the crazy things that happen to me, so do be sure to follow me on Bloglovin.

No comments:

Post a Comment