Friday, 4 September 2015

One Happy Change: Colouring Book Edition

Every month this year When I can, I'll be improving my lifestyle in one simple way, whether it's breaking a bad habit or creating a positive change. Through doing this I'm hope to revamp my life, one change at a time. The last edition saw me send handwritten letters. For August, I've rediscovered childhood joy through colouring. Read on to see how I did...

Whether you roll your eyes at the idea, or have your felt-tip pens at the ready, adult colouring books are all the rage at the moment. And since I received one for Christmas, I decided it was time for me to dig out my old art supplies and get creative... Within the lines, of course!

Advocates for adult colouring books proclaim that it lowers stress levels, as the hobbyist focuses on the activity at hand. Others reject the hype, annoyed by those that associate colouring with mindfulness, meditation, or art therapy, without any evidence. Regardless of the naysayers, I was eager to give in to the hype and see for myself whether it had any benefits

August was a stressful month for me, as there were a number of university deadlines for me to met. It was the perfect time for me to see if colouring would calm my stressed-out mind. And did it work? Well, I can't say it did much to curb my stress levels, but perhaps that's not a surprise considering the frazzled state I was in.

While I didn't feel it provided stress-relief, the act of colouring was fun! And the simple act of picking up a pen has reminded me that I like to create. Sitting in my bedroom is an A3 sketchbook, with too many blank pages. Colouring has egged on my creativity, and now it's time to step it up a notch and fill the blank pages with new creations.

Following on from a colourful August, September is set to be a creative month!

No comments:

Post a Comment