Tuesday, 15 September 2015

3 Apps for Creative Instagram Posts

For the visual out there, Instagram is the ideal social platform. If you've been selective about who you follow, scrolling through the feed is like flicking through your favourite magazine, taking in the pretty photography and glancing at the captions. But the fun really begins as you populate your own Instagram profile with snaps of your adventures. From nights out in killer heels to nights in with hot chocolate, we pick the highlights (and find the best lighting) to snap and share.

That's all very well, but what do you do when your feed all starts to feel a bit samey? Download a new app and get creative with your edits, of course! Here are three apps that I use to spice up my Instagram when it's all looking a bit Insta-meh.

Price: €0.99 // Available on: iOS & Android

Let's start with the easiest edit way to transform your pics. True to its name, Afterlight allows you to add fake light leaks to your images. Simply select a photo from your gallery and tap on the little icon that looks like the end of a roll of film. Select 'light leak' and get experimenting with the options! Below are a few posts that have been enhanced with light leaks.

Apps used: Afterlight (light leak overlay) & VSCOcam

If you're after the vintage film camera look, try the 'dusty' overlays. These add specks to the image, making your phone photos appear as if they've been taken with a worse-for-wear pinhole camera. That ought to add a bit of mystery to the 50th selfie of the day.

Apps used: Afterlight (dusty overlay & light leak overlay) & VSCOcam

Price: Free // Available on: iOS & Android

Moldiv is not inherently a creative app, since it is mostly used to create collages. But when you start getting creative with your collages: that's when the fun begins.

Apps used: Moldiv & VSCOcam

It's a little difficult to explain how to use Moldiv creatively, so I'll show you with an example. I'd taken a photo of the River Liffey and did an edit of it in VSCOcam (my favourite app for filters and basic edits). It was okay and could have cut it on my Instagram feed as it was, but I had a long bus journey with time to kill. So I opened Moldiv, chose the template split into four triangles, and selected the photo four times to populate the blank spaces. Next I removed the frame, rotated each segment, and lined them up, resulting in a trippy image that looked sort of like a surreal television set. You can see what the final image looked like above. The same sort of process can be adopted to create reflections, by flipping and/or rotating segments of the image, and this works well for OOTDs as well as landscapes.

Apps used: Moldiv & VSCOcam

Price: €1.99 // Available on: iOS & Android

And now for the app that will give your photos the biggest transformation: Fragment app. By far the least subtle of the lot, this app will distort and transform your images. Play around with this app and you'll soon realise that you can push your images until they are unrecognisable.

When travelling around China I made use of this app. I was documenting the whole trip and uploading to Instagram as I went, and my feed became inundated with Buddhist temples, oriental landscapes and awe-inspiring skylines. All very beautiful, sure, but I wanted to do something a little different for a photo or two.

Apps used: Fragment, Moldiv & VSCOcam

Take, for instance, the Shanghai skyline. I'd already uploaded a nighttime shot of the view - but I wanted to show the contrast between the city at night and at day. Putting both images into a Moldiv template was okay, but it needed something more. So I took it into Fragment, played with a few options, and came up with the photo you see above.

Apps used: Fragment, Moldiv & VSCOcam

So there you have it - three apps for getting creative with your Instagram posts. If you like what you see, be sure to follow me on Instagram! Happy editing!

13 comments:

  1. fab post! I love Afterlight, VSCOcam and Snapseed for editing my instagram photos. I'll definitely need to check out your suggestions :)

    Hannah xx
    Raspberry Kitsch | UK Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fragment looks so nice! I love the last edit you made! I use VSCO mainly, but I definitely need to start trying some new things!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these recommendations, I always
    look for new ways to edit my pictures. ;)

    la-ailurophile.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for recomendation! my favorite is vsco cam, they're still be the best photos app for me :)

    http://petitecovered.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a brilliant post - I''m downloading these as we speak! x

    http://www.iamnicrose.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos☺ Thanks for sharing this very helpful post♥♥
    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I've heard of was Afterlight so thank you for this little post. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative love it: nice post! Bonjour from France, *-* Sand. *-*
    .
    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Moldiv and fragment. I will have to give them a go. Hopefully my instagram photos will improve in quality after this :)

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this awesome post! All of these programs except for afterlight are new to me and I love the idea of being able to create some crazy mosaics! Thanks for the informative post!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOAAAHHHHHHh fragment looks AWESOME!!!

    meghansara.com

    ReplyDelete