Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Popcorn & Flicks: 3 Films to Catch on Netflix Ireland

I recently subscribed to Netflix Ireland and, as of yet, I'm not entirely convinced. There just doesn't seem to be that great a selection of films. Frustrated by the subpar suggestions on its interface (to be fair, I should rate a few more films before I expect the algorithm to know what I like), I turned to Google to peruse some Netflix film lists. However, I soon realised that I could find 'must watch' lists, but most of the offerings I came across were only available on US Netflix. Since I couldn't find many lists dedicated to what to watch on the Irish Netflix, I decided to note down a few films I've enjoyed since joining. Although I'm still not sure if I'll renew my subscription, I was happy to find these three gems on Netflix...

Stars: Keira Knightley // Mark Ruffalo // Adam Levine // Hailee Steinfeld // James Corden
Genre: Romcom
Defining quote: All these banalities - They're suddenly turned into these... these beautiful, effervescent pearls. From music.

John Carney directed 'Begin Again' with 70 times the budget he had to play with when filming 'Once', his no-frills film that was as much about the music as the narrative. So of course, with more cash to spend, 'Begin Again' is a much more polished affair. But despite the bigger budget and Hollywood stars, it doesn't feel obliged to present a perfectly tied-together romcom ending. All the better for it. It's a romantic look at creativity, music, and relationships, and it's well worth a watch.

Stars: Jim Carrey // Kate Winslet // Kirsten Dunst // Mark Ruffalo
Genre: Drama/Romance
Defining quote: Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias.

There's not much I can say about 'Eternal Sunshine...', it's one of those films you need to watch to 'get it'. And even then you won't fully understand: multiple viewings are a requirement for this one, to appreciate both its subtleties and the bigger picture. The film follows Joel, as he goes through a procedure to remove all memories of his last girlfriend, Clementine. Haunting premise, isn't it? Always surprising and sometimes heartbreaking, 'Eternal Sunshine...' is an all-time favourite of mine, and I'm thrilled it's on Netflix.

Stars: Domhnall Gleeson // Michael Fassbender // Maggie Gyllenhaal // Scoot McNairy
Genre: Drama
Defining quote: Would it help if I said my facial expressions out loud? Welcoming smile.

Inspired by the real-life musician Frank Sidebottom, this movie looks at the dysfunctional, unconventional, yet sort of brilliant band fronted by Frank, a curious character that refuses to ever remove his huge papier-mâché head. Yup. It's a rather funny watch, in all senses of the word. Watch and become intrigued and endeared by Frank and his band members.

So there you have it. I'm no film critic, but hopefully there's a movie here that tickles your fancy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Claire! My name is Bivi. You might not remember me, but it seems you're on the follower list of my Instagram. Sorry it took me so long to get to your blog. But I'm glad I finally manage to check it out.

    You have such an amazing blog! All your posts seem to be high quality and this post in particular caught my eye, for one reason: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Yes, I agree, everyone should watch it! Aside from that, Begin Again is definitely something I've intended to watch for a while. And, from your description, Frank is now on my to-watch list.

    This post was so lovely! Keep making genuine content ;)

    Alive as Always

    ReplyDelete