Wednesday, 8 April 2015

One Happy Change: Handwritten Hello Edition

Every month this year I'll be improving my lifestyle in one simple way, whether it's breaking a bad habit or creating a positive change. Through doing this I'm hoping to revamp my life, one month at a time. February's edition saw me take up meditation. For March, I've sent a few letters to rediscover the joy of the handwritten hello. Read on to see how I did...

The happy addition to my schedule over March? The handwritten hello. By this I mean: taking time out of a hectic schedule to write and send little notes for loved ones. I've been rediscovering the joys of the handwritten note.

Of course, it's not hard to see why I wanted to try this out. Every day, without fail, I sit behind a laptop and type, type, type. As for putting pen to paper? That's reserved for notetaking in college. I can't remember the last time I wrote a handwritten letter and sent it in the post. So, in a bid to slow down and break away from screens, I took up letter writing.

How did I get on? Well, I'll admit, I didn't spend as much time on this challenge as I had planned. I found myself writing a note here and there, rather than settling down with a cup of tea and dedicating a solid half an hour to the activity. I think in April I'll make sure to do just that... Make more an effort to focus on the activity at hand. Sure there's a letter I still haven't sent that is well overdue (Liz from Counting Magpies sent me the most magnificent print in the post ages ago, and I have yet to reply).

The little time I spent letter writing felt like time well spent. And when popping the letters in the postbox, I got a little kick out of the fact that in the next few days a loved one would get a little handwritten surprise. Plus, it gave me an excuse to use these adorable postcards I picked up from Paperchase.

So that's what I was up to in the month of March! What about you: have you written to a pen pal recently? Or received something lovely in the post? Let me know, I'd love to hear!

4 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely idea. Thinking about how everyday we can spend hours and hours behind screens communicating and eventually loose the interest in writing something by hand. It seems like a great way to relax and unwind from a day. It's a great idea that you are surprising people with hand written gifts too as it is something that they can treasure. I think a good idea would be to write letters to yourself maybe once a week to open at a certain age to be able to look back. I suppose like a diary but more 'advice' rather than personal feelings. This post has really inspired me, it might be something I am to do. I can't wait to see what your doing for April!
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing by hand and sending letters and notes to friends! It gives everything a much more personal vibe, and people tend to love it too! I love the feeling of physically making something and being creative. I'll have to get back to handwriting and making more handmade things for friends!

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore writing letters! Me and my best friend always write letters to each other (even though we live 5 minutes away from each other), it's fun and it's a good way to practice writing and so you don't get sucked into that world of tech!

    ~Noor
    www.alittlebitofsunshineblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me that I need to send a letter to my great Aunt! She's 92 this year and never forgets a birthday, anniversary, holiday, anything! I'm sure she would love to get a letter herself!!

    Chrissy x
    www.chrissylilly.com

    ReplyDelete