Monday, 9 March 2015

Newcastle: The Sights & Eats

Recently, I made the short trek over to Newcastle to visit a friend, Hannah. She's currently England-bound for work, and, although I miss her, at least it means I have an excuse to visit somewhere new! My roomie, Michelle, and I booked the flights on a whim. Weeks melted by, and before we knew it, we were landing in the surprisingly sunny city.



First on the agenda: a wander around the area, to get a feel for the city. Although I've visited England on numerous occasions since I moved to Ireland, it still comes as a shock when I'm reminded of how different the two countries are. Despite being close in proximity and sharing a common language, Newcastle just felt so English. I can never put my finger on what the difference is. Most likely, it's a myriad of subtle differences that add up to an entirely different atmosphere.

I do think the English buildings may have something to do with it, though. The streets feel somewhat claustrophobic, with intricate structures towering either-side of you. This makes it all sound quite overwhelming, and it is, but in the best way possible. In a way that left us filled with excitement for the day ahead.

Of course, the cameras and phones were in hand, to capture Newcastle's sights in the gorgeous sunshine. We walked over the Gateshead Millennium Bridge to arrive at The Baltic Centre of Contemporary Art. Which is a great spot, by the way! Firstly, it's free to visit, which suited our tight budget. And, as well as browsing the artwork on show, we got to see a great view of the city from the top floor of the building!



For dinner, Hannah took us to this lovely spot called Pitcher & Piano, where we could fill our stomachs while enjoying the view of the quays. Unfortunately, we were waiting much too long for our meals... Which didn't bode well since we were starving to begin with. However, I must say, the waitress was lovely about it and apologised in the form of free sweet potato fries - so I won't complain! Their sweet potato fries are divine.

As well as the sights and eats, we ended up going to a club called House of Smith - which was as surreal as it was fun. But, as you can imagine, I was not in a state to be taking pretty pictures of that night out. You'll just have to use your imagination for that one! There were flame throwers and dwarfs flying across the ceiling (seriously), if that helps.

Have you been anywhere interesting recently? Or have you visited Newcastle before? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip, would love to go here someday! :)

    http://www.mintnotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photographs, Newcastle looks intriguing!
    I've never really ventured that far north before into England (I'm from Cornwall see) but I know what you mean about the difference in the cities. Coming from a tiny rural county right on the bottom of the island, it's helluva shock to the system :P
    Lovely blog you have here ^_^ Turra ♥

    Sarah | thesaltyseablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my friends lives in Newcastle but I have never been there. It looks like such a great city!

    Ashleigh x

    Being Ashleigh - Lifestyle and Fashion blog ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - these photos are fantastic.
    I have never been before but now I want to. Great post.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are beautiful. I've never been to Ireland, I'd love to visit !

    JOKSIE // WEAREMONOCHROME

    ReplyDelete