Saturday, 17 January 2015

My 3 Go-To, Guilt-Free Snacks

Recently, I've been making a conscious decision to make healthier choices when it comes to stuffing my gob. I'm determined to make healthy eating a permanent change, rather than just a post-Christmas whim. Realistically, I'm not going to be able to stick to it if I restrict myself to nothing but undressed salad, day and night. Anyway, where's the joy in that? Plus, I am such a grazer, cutting down on the snacking was simply not an option. So, in my quest for a healthy lifestyle, I've been experimenting with creating my own healthy snacks. Read on to see what I've been gnawing on lately...

As some of you may know, I'm cutting dairy out of my diet in a bid to lessen my acne woes. Problem is: I have quite the chocolate addiction. Instead of going cold turkey, I've started eating dark chocolate to satisfy my cravings. Dark chocolate can be pretty bitter, so I wouldn't necessarily eat a whole bar of the stuff as I would with the milk version. Hence, popcorn with a drizzling of dark chocolate has been my snack of choice. It's perfect for when I'm a hungry and a single square of dark chocolate on its own won't do. I find that this works best with lightly salted popcorn, or plain popcorn if you want to be super healthy.

Popcorn Drizzled with Dark Chocolate Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate

Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate: Helps fend off diabetes, helps prevent heart disease, helps lowers blood pressure.


Next is for a ridiculously obvious one, but it couldn't be excluded since it's the ultimate guilt-free snack. It's my favourite food to quieten a rumbling belly when doing uni assignments. I am, of course, talking about hummus and *insert dipper of choice here*! My choice, as you can see, would be carrot sticks or multigrain crispbread. For convenience I buy it ready made, but I hear that it's very easy and cheap to make so I might have to give that a go!

Health Benefits of Hummus: Helps lower cholesterol, great source of protein.


Since I'm steering clear of dairy, I actually opt for a yogurt alternative by Alpro, but this will work with greek yogurt or regular yogurt too. I'll add frozen blueberries and a sprinkling of milled flaxseed to make it particularly delicious and filling. Milled superfoods are one of the more expensive products in my shopping basket, but it's worth forking out the extra euros when they have such great health benefits. Also, I love the texture they give yogurts when mixed in.

Health Benefits of Flaxseed: Great source of fiber, great source of omega-3.

I hope I've provided some inspiration for those of you with healthy eating resolutions for 2015! Let me know if you have any suggestions for healthy snacking... I'm always eating so I'm always in need of new food inspiration!

31 comments:

  1. They look all so yummy! Really loving the dark chocolate and popcorn - such a nice combination

    xx Melane || Pure Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. popcorn and dark chocolate sounds amazing! i actually love this post, im trying so hard to be healthy but my downfall is snacking! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/01/switching-off.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum these all look delicious, I have a similar post coming up on my blog soon.
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm the popcorn and chocolate sounds so good! I love salty-sweet combinations. And those little cups you have are so cute! Are they actually bowls or muffin liners?

    xx Kathryn
    http://www.throughthethicket.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually bowls. Well... That's how I'm using them anyway! I bought them a while ago for a party cos they're such great colours!

      Delete
  5. Healthy and all looks so good, Dark chocolate & popcorn seems like a unique, creative yet yummy snack that I must try.
    clandestine-v.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love snacking on hummus too. I really want to start making my own! That is a job for one weekend soon :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popcorn and dark chocolate! What a wonderfully brilliant idea, I may have to take a little walk to the shop today to give this a go. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll definitely try that! Popcorn + dark chocolate are my favorite!!

    xxo

    NIKI

    http://nikikouri.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious! I have to try that! Great blog dear xx

    fashionvitae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love popcorn - I have never thought to melt choc over it!! xx

    www.lulabelloves.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look really tasty - and it's nice to have a few go-to snacks so that you can put them into rotation and never get bored!

    Rae | love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is awesome. Great tips on snacks! And your photos are just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YESSSS to the dark chocolate popcorn. Why have I never heard of that before?!

    Ants on a log has been an alltime favorite snack of mine, it's just celery sticks with peanut butter in the ridge, and topped with raisins :)

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds tasty! I wonder if it would work work with almond butter as well, cos I've been wanting to try that too!

      Delete
  14. These all look amazing! i'm going to have to give them a go!

    www.heyitskiaerin.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dark chocolate and popcorn *Salivates*. This looks soooo nice!

    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all of these snacks (except I make my own granola for yoghurt) and they really satisfy my cravings for sweet food.

    fashionablyunknown.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so good! Literally drooling right now (okay, maybe I'm not really DROOLING, but you get the point...)! :)

    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally love hummus and some carrot or red pepper sticks, it's so yummy and like the perfect snack for work as well!

    Much love xxx
    CHRISTINANISTA.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yum! I've never thought to have red pepper with humous but I've got to try that!

      Delete
  19. These are really nice ideas. Your blog is also really nice. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, here is the link:
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award.html
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loe all the ideias, mais fave was the first and wow what a perfect photos *-*

    XO ♥
    http://aruivablog.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've tried the hummus with crispbread and carrot sticks today and loved it! I just wanted to come back and thank you for this suggestion!
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so glad you discovered a new snack! Thanks Emily! :)

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiya hun!

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    To find out more check out my post.

    heyitskiaerin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Omg those look so yummy!!!
    ----
    http://breakfastataris.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE popcorn... and chocolate. I have no idea why I've never combined the two but I am doing that tonight when I watch some Netflix! thanks for the idea Claire ;)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hummus and vegetables are something I don't mind munching for the rest of my life because hummus is soooooo good! :D glad to see that up there and I will most definitely try dark chocolate drizzled popcorn in the nearest future because my sweet tooth is calling out for it. :)

    Lee
    Www.lastnightwithlee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. The popcorn is making my mouth water right now! I think I'm going to try the hummus :)
    JOKSIE // WEAREMONOCHROME

    ReplyDelete