Saturday, 31 January 2015

January Favourites

I've decided to (finally) join the monthly favourites bandwagon, so I can let you guys know what I've been loving as of late! Maybe I'll regret this next month if I'm uninspired and run down with college work - but future Claire can deal with that! For now, here's my favourites from January (read: what I got for Christmas!):

Well well well, what do we have here then? I hear literally no one you ask. I'll tell ya! There's sweet lil' notebooks, tongue-in-cheek non-fiction and a retro camera. Let's look and these bits and bobs in more detail...

Fujifilm Instax Wide 210

This little gem is an instant camera, gifted to me from my parents. It's safe to say that I'm a little bit in love with it! Since I unwrapped it on Christmas day, it was always going to be a favourite for the month of January... Even if my mum thought I was reverting back to the last century with this type of film camera. Although, this isn't a Polaroid, it's a Fujifilm instant camera, which are new and currently in production, so finding film for it is no big deal.

In the age of Instagram, I suppose it's a reasonable question to ask why you would want an instant camera, especially since the film isn't exactly cheap. But when I took the camera out at a recent party, I found that it deserved its place in my camera collection. The whole act of pressing the clunky shutter, eyes burning from the obnoxiously bright flash, and speculating what the photo will look like as it slowly develops in your hands... It's a little bit magical and a whole lot of fun! Plus, it meant that the partygoers all went away with a little token from the night. Anyway, how many of the iPhone photos taken that night are going to even get printed? I'd hazard a guess that it's a big fat zero. So yes, there is a place for film in our digital society - and I'm not afraid to declare my love for it!

Today I styled a photoshoot, and having this camera was such a great way to get some artistic pics as the day of the shoot went on! I'll be scanning them and popping them up on the blog soon so you can see what I mean!

Cath Kidston Notebooks

What can I say? These vintage-looking notebooks are me all over. I've been using one to note down blog post ideas, so naturally I've been getting a lot of use out of that. The other one I use to budget. Let me tell you, never have I been so excited to calculate my incomings and outgoings! Gotta love a quirky-cute Cath Kidston item. What's more, my mum actually found these at Easons, so she got them for a little bit cheaper than she would have if she went to the dedicated Cath Kidston store.

How to be Parisian Whereever You Are

I've got quite a few books on the go at the moment, but I thought I'd give this one a shout out in particular. It bet the others to be my January favourite because of its lovely cover, and if there's one thing I've learnt in life it's that you should always judge a book by its cover... Oh no, that's not right is it? But, in a way, it kind of is. I am always browsing bookshops, and if the cover doesn't catch my eye, I wander right on past. Why would I want a book that makes my collection just a bit uglier? I want excellent content and pretty covers goddamn it. Have cake. Eat it. Too.

Okay, so there's more to this book than cute illustrations and typography. It's a witty look at the Parisian spirit with advice to channel your own Parisian babe. I use the term 'advice' lightly, of course, as it's more of a comment on the essence of their undeniably chic attitude. In reality, I dislike coffee and like colourful clothes too much to ever truly emulate Parisian style... But a sprinkling of the style couldn't hurt. Regardless, it's a lovely little coffee table book that I've been enjoying this month.

That's what I've been loving this month! All of them were Christmas gifts so god knows what I'll do for next month's instalment! No doubt you'll see these items pop up again on the blog - especially the instant camera and pics using it. Can't wait to share the film shots I got from the photoshoot today!

19 comments:

  1. I love your favourites! I've always wanted an instant camera, they are just so cool. Plus who doesn't love Cath Kidston ? That notebook is adorable..

    http://thelittlebluesailboat.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing a lot of instant cameras in the blogging world and I want one! I love that you get the photo right away... I have so many photos that I never print! :(

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning to buy an Instax this year. I'm so happy you already have one for yourself, and quite jealous too LOL

    Life With Antlers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely buy one - you won't regret it!

      Delete
  4. I need to read how to be parisian whenever you are! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a lovely selection :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them notebooks! Really nice post, hope to see more of them.
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want that book. I also love the camera but the film is so expensive! Surely if it was cheaper more people would get them!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really want that book! Mega jealous! Is it really good? http://ashaopryhirsi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting an instant camera forever - it's nice to know that there are some good options out there because I feel like all I ever hear about are the Instax minis!

    And those Cath Kidston notebooks are just beautiful. I love stationary so much.

    xx Kathryn
    Through the Thicket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Instax minis are so cute with their different colours and everything... But I wanted the bigger and wider one because I knew it would be better to play around with when it comes to experimenting with photography. So yeah, there's definitely options to consider when it comes to the Instax!

      Delete
  10. That book looks and sounds so nice. Who doesn't
    want to be a bit more parisian? Even if it's just the attitude. ;)
    And I would love to get a Fujifilm Instax camera as well.

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard about this book too, and can't wait to read it!

    http://stylesprinter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great items!

    Mel
    http://www.girlandthepolkadot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really lovely favorites. I have an instax camera as well, but have honestly not even begun to use it yet! Maybe I really should...

    Rae | love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Cath Kidsons notebooks! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Notebooks are definitely a plus for me and I absolutely love those instant cameras! longing for one! Great post girl, loving the photos you took as well :)
    Jade x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi
    I loved this post it make from reading loads of makeup post latly
    That cam looks awesome. Keep up the great work
    Carl b
    http://www.ablokeseyeview.co.uk

    ReplyDelete