Friday, 7 November 2014

A Fine Day to Graduate: What I Wore

Claire Petersen Graduation Outfit

As of yesterday, I got two extra letters added to my name... Baby, you can call me 'Claire Petersen, BA'. I am now officially a graduate of the BA in Communication Studies, I've got a fancy certificate to prove it an' all!

The graduation ceremony was such a lovely event. My beloved family made the trek down to Dublin to celebrate with me, and I got to see the friends I'd made over the last three years walk up and collect their well-deserved degree. I was slightly tearful at it all. But I also had an absolute giggle as I dressed up family members in the gown and silly little hat. Oh, and of course I marked the occasion with the entirely cliché, but practically compulsory, hat throw. I couldn't not.

University Graduate with Grandparents University Graduate with Mum

As for my outfit underneath the traditional hat and robe, I wore a mint green cape dress from Warehouse. It was such a struggle to find a suitable dress for the event. I knew that there would be many a photo taken, so I was on the look out for a simple outfit that would add a pop of colour to the traditional graduate attire. Sounds like a simple enough request, but I was disappointed by the selection in the shops. I did, however, come across a sort-of-suitable dress. The problem was that it came in a terribly unflattering shade of pink, which totally clashed with my hair and complexion. Although the shop assistant had informed us that we'd find a mint green version online, it wasn't available on the House of Fraser site or the Warehouse's own site. Disheartened, I did one last Google search, only to come across the dress being sold on ASOS. There was one left. And it was in my size. Needless to say, I hastily snapped it up.

Claire Petersen Graduation Outfit Warehouse Mint Cape Dress
Dress: Warehouse // Necklace: Dunnes Stores // Heels: Penneys // Bracelet: Vintage

Dunnes Stores Mint Green and Purple Statement Necklace

Paired with a statement necklace, I like to think it made for the perfect graduation outfit. The best thing about it was the back, where pretty lace detail peeks out from behind the cape. This was ideal, as it meant that while it worked as a day dress under my robe, once the robe had been returned, it instantly became more dressy. So the dress was able to work for both the ceremony and the fancy dinner we had later on.

Warehouse Mint Cape Dress Back Red Hair and Warehouse Mint Cape Dress Back

And that, my friend, was what I wore on one of the most monumental days of my academic career. Let me know what you think of the look in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I love the dress - the back is gorgeous. I never made it to my graduation sadly but I dressed up and celebrated anyway! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You look just lovely and the dress you chose out to wear is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats of graduating! You look great! Thanks for checking out my blog! XOXO, Ruby

    http://redrubyross.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! And I love the back details of your dress! :)

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing. Love the hair and photos!

    Paige xx
    Skin & Roses

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look GORGEOUS... That color looks amazing on you! Congrats on graduating! So happy for you!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica, you're such a sweetheart! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow congrats! You look absolutely amazing too - that dress is gorgeous on you!

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh congrats, I actually will graduate in Communications with a BA in summer, so loved reading this posts! You dress is sooo stunning and love the necklace, I adore anything to do with pastel colours so this is perfect!

    Much love xxx
    CHRISTINANISTA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Claire!
    Thanks for your comment on my post! (www.allyinblunderland.co.uk) and the photos are in my garden yes!!
    You look so lovely here! And massive congrats too :D
    Super happy I've found your blog so thanks again for the comment :)

    Ally

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete