Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Being Thankful: A Simple Way to Feel Happier

This post isn't going to be quite as soppy as the title would suggest... I just wanted to share how I keep myself positive, even when circumstance seems intent on putting me down. And, as the title would suggest, it's all about gratitude.

A notebook of handwritten gratitudes

I discovered this technique by reading the popular self-help book The Secret. I wouldn't say I'm a die-hard fan of this book, there are certain points in the book when I felt like I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough. I just don't think The Universe gives a feck about my wellbeing, as the book would have me believe. Despite what the myriad selfies may suggest, I'm not narcissistic enough to buy into the idea that if I ask for something, The Universe will deliver it to me. The Universe aside, the book does actually have some good tips buried beneath the waffle. One of the book's fundamental tips for a successful and happy life? Being grateful.

Of course, if you sat down and thought about what you're blessed with, you'd have no choice but to be thankful and radiate happiness. But the problem is that often we don't take the time to do this. So we just solider on, never pausing to appreciate our luck. The fix is simple: Reflect on what you cherish, be thankful, and feel content. But how exactly? Read on...

Jot down three things that you are thankful for each day. These can be general, or specific to the day of writing. I've being doing this on-and-off for a while now, and my gratitudes range from heartfelt notes appreciating friends and family to... "my hair getting longer" (that is actually one of my gratitudes for the 16th of August!). Thinking of three things to be grateful for will help you focus on the positive, and writing it down makes it infinitely more powerful than the negative thoughts that may flitter through your mind.

If you feel like getting creative, why don't you draw what you're thankful for? Or, if you're not confident as an artist, you could take the time to write out key gratitudes in pretty hand writing. You could even dedicate a whole notebook to your (prettified) gratitudes, and look back on your creations when you're feeling low.

When you've got time to kill, and you've refreshed Instagram and Twitter far too many times, why don't you take the opportunity to count your blessings. Literally count them, that is. Make a mental list of all that you're thankful for and see how many can pinpoint.

***

I hope you enjoyed reading my tips for being thankful! I don't think it came across overly soppy! Anyway, now would be a great time to say: Thank you to all my readers and those of you that take the time to comment. I really am grateful for blogging community that I know and love. Muchas gracias, merci beaucoup, thank you, darlings.

...I take it back, this is super soppy. x

1 comment:

  1. Haha yeaaa, sometimes self help books can get a little too froo froo, though I really love this tip. Isn't it weird how if you visually see something, it becomes a little more real. I heard of doing the same thing with your big goals- that if you see them on paper they'll become something more tangible and serious. This is a lovely way to actually notice all the good stuff you have in your life :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete