Saturday, 4 October 2014

My Internship with 2Fik

Last month I had the pleasure of being the 'Photo Clicker and Photoshop Wizard' (yes, that was the official title!) for the performance photographer, 2Fik, as part of the Dublin Fringe Festival. 2Fik creates amazing images, in which he plays multiple characters within the frame. For this particular project, 2Fik's mission was to reimagine the Irish painting entitled 'The Marriage of Strongbow and Aoife'. And I was happy to help! Below is the final image.

2Fik Does the Marriage of Strongbow (and Aoife)

On the day of the photoshoot, I acted as a photographer's assistant, I released the shutter when told and kept track of the different parts of the frame that 2Fik had posed in. As we shot the images, 2Fik got countless strange looks from the public. I suppose that was to be expected though, since the characters he played ranged from a child wearing a crocodile onesie to a bearded lady-priest in an Irish dancing dress and leather hijab. I don't understand the significance of all the costumes that are worn in the piece, I'm not going to pretend I do. However, I do believe that this piece of art encourages the viewer to question their understanding of identity and gender roles. Deep, huh?

While the overall message may have been serious, the same could not be said for the overall atmosphere of the day. Sure, we had our stern faces on every now and then, as we concentrated on getting the prefect shot, but I also was giggling and enjoying myself, as the team were so lovely to work with. Plus, I made friends with Chutney, the laser-eyed prop horse!

Laser-eyed Fake Horse
Chutney and I. Follow me on Instagram for more of my face!

Another one of my responsibilities as an intern on this project was to use Photoshop to cut out some of the characters, so that 2Fik could incorporate them into the final image. This took hours upon hours to do, and I only had to do around fifteen! I can't imagine how time consuming it must have been for 2Fik to cut out all of the other characters and combine them all together to make one final coherent photograph. Bravo to him! It was completed in time, and the final image was exhibited at Filmbase in Temple Bar.

Gillian and Claire at the Launch of 2Fik's 'The Marriage of Strongbow (and Aoife)' as part of the Dublin Fringe Festival, 2014
Jillian (the Costume Assistant) and I, in front of the final piece.

So that was glimpse at my short stint in the performance art world. I loved it, I'd jump at the chance to be involved with something like this again. Have you ever worked on a similarly wacky art project? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear what you've been up to!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! How amazing and such fun! Great photos. xo

    www.chasing-peonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such an amazing and interesting experience.
    I would love to do an internship like this, too. :)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete