Saturday, 13 September 2014

DIY: Revamp a Corkboard

Since moving into my new rental with my best friends, I've been taking little steps to revamp my bedroom and inject a little personality between these cream walls. And, in the process, I came up with a fun little DIY that is ridiculously easy and very effective. So if you're interested in revamping a boring corkboard, read on...

1. A corkboard
2. A can of spray paint in a pretty colour
3. Old newspaper
4. Pins
5. Scissors
6. A pen

1. Have a think about what design you'd like to feature on your corkboard. For simplicity's sake, it's best to do something that's going to be easy to cut out and use as a stencil. Think hearts, circles (a polka dot corkboard would be cute), and letters of the alphabet. I chose to do a sort of bunting effect with triangles and also spell out my name. With your final design in mind, you can cut out the shapes from the newspaper, draw them first if you'd rather cut around an outline.

2. Layout the shapes in the design that you would like. Remember that the newspaper is going to block the spray paint, so that what's beneath will remain the brown corkboard colour.

3. Using the pins, fasten the shapes down. Make sure the newspaper is quite taunt so that the paint won't get in behind the paper. The advantage of using the pins to secure your stencil in place is that you'll end up with pins that match the colour of your corkboard perfectly!

4. Now it's time to spray! To get an even cover you should not spray too long in any particular spot. Instead, try to give the corkboard an even coverage while spraying from left to right, starting from the top and continuing to the bottom of the board so that it has all been painted. Make sure to do this outside, as the fumes from spray paint are quite stong.

5. Leave the corkboard to dry overnight. It's completely dry when no part of it is sticky to touch.

6. Remove the newspaper and pins... And, you're done!

I decided to hang my jewellery off it, since my necklaces don't obscure the design too much. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I'm happy with it! I got a bit spray-paint crazy and also coloured my folder, which you can see on the left of the photo. It's all very matchy-matchy, but I don't mind!

11 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I really like the color you used. I love corkboards, I use mine to put all my to-do lists and some fun photos... I just really need to buy more push pins because I am always losing them lol

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! Thanks for sharing. xo

    www.chasing-peonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea!! Looks so cool afterwards too.

    http://trendofdays.blogspot.co.uk
    @trendofdays
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great DIY idea, thanks for sharing! :D

    Please check out my new blog post, would love to know your thoughts!

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun DIY! And the color you chose is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice DIY! I have been thinking of doing this to my cork board also :)

    STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea for a quick and easy DIY project and I reckon it's really well timed for the off-to-university crowd! Well done! I really like the colour! :)

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so clever! Thank you for the inspiration! :)


    Hoping you weekend was great! My weekend was amazing! I was in London for four days because I was invited for London Fashion Week. I had so much fun! I wish you an amazing day!

    www.searchingforlbd.com

    www.searchingforlbd.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome DIY!!! SO COOL!!!

    jessthegrrl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I'm going to uni soon so I've been looking for cute things like this to do to brighten up my room :)

    www.alldeathbydiamonds.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really cute way to store jewelry ! I'll see if I can find a corkboard =)

    Feathers and Brushes | Swiss | Beauty & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete