Thursday, 3 July 2014

The Soul's Home

Today I received my final results for my BA in Communication Studies. I am thrilled to be able to say that I got the 1.1 that I was aiming for. Notably, I got 80% in my favourite module, Advanced Photography and Imaging. You may remember me mentioning my final project here and here. I was kind of obsessed with this project during my final semester, so I am ecstatic that the work paid off.

And now that the results are in, I can finally share the photos that I worked so hard on. But first, let me tell you my thoughts behind the project...

Here's a snipped from the introduction to my portfolio, which gives you an idea of what I was going for with this series of digitally manipulated photographs:

"This photography project, entitled The Soul’s Home, looks at the landscapes and locations which make a person feel content and fulfilled. It poses the question: Do the places we visit have a profound effect on us? Is a person’s special place part of their identity? Is it part of their soul? When looking at this series of digitally manipulated portraits, the viewer is invited to ponder these questions, and is also encouraged to ask themselves where their happy place is."

As for the photographs themselves, they have been digitally manipulated in Photoshop. I took a portrait photograph of the subject and a landscape photograph of their happy place and created the final image by combining both images in Photoshop. So without any further ado, here are the photographs that made up my final photography project.

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped me with this project. Thanks to my wonderful mother who drove me around Donegal for hours so that we could photograph everyone's happy place. And a massive shout out to everyone who took the time to be in a photograph and who were open enough to share their happy place with me.

Do you have a happy place? Let me know in the comments. Also, don't be afraid to comment with what you think of my concept and final images. Do you like them? Are they a tad too surreal for your tastes? Let me know, I love hearing from my readers!

6 comments:

  1. I read this post twice. Maybe three times. It's so, so inspiring and I absolutely adore what you done to capture somebody's favourite location. You're so creative and passionate, I love it.

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this art is genius !
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! Really original!

    Hunni of TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your mark! Your pieces are absolutely beautiful, I love the ones where the horizon runs from ear to ear :)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on your good grades! amazing pieces you have created there!

    xoxo
    mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite a cool project, well done! Congrats on your grade too!
    www.beingashleigh.com

    ReplyDelete