Saturday, 28 June 2014

DIY: Cute Collage Gift Idea

Recently I complied a gift package for my friend Fiona's birthday. The present was full of small and cute items which I thought she'd appreciate, but it was still missing a personal touch. To inject a little personality into the pressie, I bought a pretty photo frame from Next and got to work on a picture to fit inside it. Rather than simply printing out a photo of the two of us, I thought I'd get creative and compile a collage to display.

The final collage

I documented the process, so here's how you can create a keepsake for a bestie.

What you'll need:

1. A photo frame
2. Card
3. Materials (magazine clippings, cute fabric, colourful card... Any pretty materials you can get your paws on)
4. Photos of you and your friend
5. Scissors
6. Glue
7. Pencil
8. Ruler



Instructions:

1. Mark the size of the photo frame on the card using the pencil and ruler.

2. Cut out the card so you are left with a single piece which fits into the photo frame.

3. Now comes the fun part: spread out your pretty materials and old magazines and cut out shapes to create the collage. You are looking for pretty colours to decorate your collage. Also, it's great to include some snippets which mean something to your friend. For example, I included the Tumblr, Instagram and Twitter symbols as my friend is a bit of a social-media butterfly.

4. Layout your cut-outs on the card. Play around with the layout until you are happy with it.

5. When you are content with the way you've laid it out then it's time to glue it down onto the card.

6. Once it's dry, slip your masterpiece into the frame. And... You're done! Ta-da! Now all you've got to do is find your lovely friend, give them their present and a big hug.

Okay, I'll admit, it might be a bit of a cheesy gift idea, but it's fun to make and I always think handmade gifts are sort of special. Have you ever given a DIY gift to a friend? Let me know in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Defiantly going to try this out! Yeah I did I made a customized scrapbook:)
    Rebecca,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute! I'm all about home made gifts - think my family is sick of knitted and crocheted stuff! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute idea! x

    http://lizwills.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I don't think it's cheesy, I think it's a fab idea! I find gifts that don't cost a lot but you've put a little thought into often go down the best with friends:)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete