Sunday, 16 March 2014

My Photograpy Project: Stories of Societies

It's been a while since I've updated you all on my academic work, so here's a little post on just that! My Photography and Imaging module, which I love, is my only practical module, and so I always try extra hard to do well in these assignments. This particular assignment asked the photographer to 'Tell a Story' through photography.

I decided to tell the stories of the society Chairpersons at DCU, my university. I did this by creating several diptychs. A diptych is simply two photographs displayed side-by-side. In this project a portrait of the society Chairperson is presented next to a still life of the quirky items that are associated with the society. Unfortunately, due to the dimensions of my blog, I have to show the photographs individually. Have a look at my Flickr to see the photos displayed as intended. Above is a self-portrait as I am the Fotosoc Chairperson, and below is the bits and bobs that are associated with Fotosoc.

Next up is Craig from Tea Soc, AKA the SociTEA. Yup, that's an entire, university-funded, society dedicated to the consumption of tea! To be fair, they host great meetups where you can relax with a cuppa and have a chat with new friends. These chilled out events ensure that it's a valuable and well-loved society on campus.

Finally, here's Freya from the Style Society. Which reminds me, the new issue of the Style Society's magazine The Look out now. I am the layout designer for this magazine, so expect a blog post on this soon!

In case you're wondering, I got my results back recently and I was given a high 2.1 for this project. According to my lecturer, it would have been a 1st if I had changed a few simple behind-the-scenes things on Photoshop to fit the brief. I'm annoyed that I forgot to follow the brief exactly (such a rookie mistake) but I'm glad that the photos themselves were given the nod of approval!

Anyway, that's a little glimpse into my academic life at the moment, the fun side of it anyway! Enjoy St. Paddy's Day (tomorrow!) and I'll see you on the other side with a new outfit post!

1 comment: