Wednesday, 26 March 2014

A Scenic Drive in Donegal

Over the weekend I was back home in Donegal and my mum and I, somewhat impulsively, decided to go on a road trip! Said road trip came about because for my photography project I am taking photos of people's 'happy places', and my dad's favourite scenic spot is Fanad Head, an area which happens to have a lovely scenic route to it.

So my mum and I put on a few extra layers, picked up a map and headed out the door for our little adventure! It was a Saturday afternoon, so BBC R1's Danny Howard was blaring, providing some much appreciated dance tunes, a perfect soundtrack for a drive. The weather was atrocious, as you can see by looking at my wind-swept self below, but it didn't matter, we were in a great mood.

Besides, the rotten weather ensured that there were dramatic clouds in the sky, which added interest to my photographs. The one time when the strong winds was a problem, though, was after taking a picture of the lighthouse at Fanad Head. When getting back into the car, we opened both front doors at the time, and a gush of wind rushed through. In its force it whipped a €50 note, which had been sitting by the gear stick, up into the air and out of the car. High in the air, it was heading straight for the sea. I dashed out to grab it and, although it made it over a barbed-wire fence, I was just about able to throw my leg over the fence and stop the note with my foot when it paused on the ground for a second. I wasn't going to let €50 fly out the door - in student terms that equates to two nights out and a take-away!

Despite the drama with a runaway €50 note, I managed to get a pretty pic of Fanad Head's lighthouse. It wasn't hard though, the area is just so beautiful. I love how my family home sits in a county with some of the most beautiful landscapes in Ireland. Seriously, if you ever visit the country, or if you live in Ireland already, it's well worth renting a car and checking out the West of Donegal. These sights can be found on the Fanad Scenic Drive. Happy exploring, fellow adventurers!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, you and your photos are gorgeous! I'm looking through your blog and I'm just drooling over your photography!

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete