Tuesday, 18 February 2014

My Blogging Journey & Beyond: Liebster Blog Award

Thank you so much to Natasha from This and That, who nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award last week. This is an award which recognises bloggers with fewer than 200 followers. With a humble 29 followers on Bloglovin' at the moment, my blog qualifies and I'm so happy that it's been noticed!

THE RULES:
- You must link the person who nominated you
- You must answer all 11 questions set by the person who nominated you
- You must nominate 11 of your favourite blogs and give them 11 questions to answer
- You cannot nominate the person who nominated you
- Remember to leave a comment to the people you have nominated

As you can see from the rules, the nomination comes with questions from Natasha, which prompted me to reflect on my journey as a blogger so far...


When did you start a blog and why?
I originally started this blog, under the name of Media Muttering, in 2012 for quite boring reasons... I had just began my Communication Studies course and I was looking to document all my media-related endeavours in an effort to impress potential employers and contacts. Unsurprisingly, blogging felt like a chore when I made it all about my academic progress, so my enthusiasm for creating content quickly dwindled. But, at the end of 2013 I revamped the blog so that it was geared towards what I enjoyed reading and writing about. Hence the name was changed to Technicolour Dreamer and the content became lifestyle and fashion related. Now I blog for fun and I've loved my blogging experience ever since.
How did you decide on the look of your blog?
When I decided to change the direction of my blog, I knew I had to get serious about my blog design. So I invested in the A Beautiful Mess Blog Design Love e-course (which has now been removed from their website, but keep an eye on their blog because they'll be introducing new e-courses in the future) and followed their tips and tricks. I gathered inspiration on Pinterest with typography and colour inspiration boards. I also kept a physical notebook with magazine clippings which would inspire the look of my blog. With this preparation I was able to have a mess around on Photoshop and create the header, buttons and a background used on this blog. I like to think the blog's look is similar to my own style: Cute and somewhat colourful.
What was the reason behind your blog's name?
I think it reflects my optimistic personality and the way that I love to daydream (read: laze around). Plus - it sounds cool.
Which social media site do you spend the most time on?
I wish I could say Instagram (it's my all-time favourite social networking site), but realistically it's Facebook - there's always a notification to check or a humorous status to like. I haven't made Technicolour Dreamer fan pages on social media yet, but for now you can follow me on Instagram here.

Who is your favourite musician and why?
What a tough question! I don't think I could choose an all-time favourite, but right now I'm loving Haim. I'm going to see them soon so I'll say Este Haim is my favourite musician. I appreciate the attitude and the bass-face.
What do you like to do when you are not blogging?
In a nutshell? I like to discover new places with old friends, whether it's galleries, nightclubs, parks, quirky little shops and cafés, wherever... And then take pretty photos there. Also, I like to eat a lot!
What's your job? Do you enjoy it?
I am currently a student and it's great! I love the lectures, society life, and the free time and independence which comes along with student status. Student discounts are a great bonus too.
What would you like to be doing this time next year?
Ideally, I'll be in London (or some other cool city) in a graduate role with an interesting company, blogging and experiencing the city in my spare time, with old and new friends. I'd also like to be doing semi-regular photoshoots on weekends.
What do you want to achieve from your blog? I blog to share some highlights of my days in my own little corner of the internet so I can look back on it in the future. Plus I would love to make some blogger friends. Mainly, I want to have fun with it and anything more, little awards like this one or offers to work with brands, is a welcome bonus.
Who is your favourite blogger and why? I have so many! But if I were to choose just one it would be Violet from Blythe Ponytail Parades. Violet's blog is so special, filled with her pretty photographs and accompanied by text which gives a little insight to her life. She clearly cares about her blog and devotes a lot of time to it. Plus, she comes across as an absolute sweetheart. Violet's blog was one of the first that I followed when I started out blogging. It was blogs like Violet's which made me realise that lifestyle blogs are what I love to read, thus this is the style of blog that I should write if I am to enjoy blogging. So, I owe a lot to Violet and her lovely blog.
Do you have a favourite website that is not linked to blogging? I'm a wannabe movie buff so I love the IMDB website. After a good film I religiously check the associated Trivia section!


Counting Magpies
Keys of Anouk
Cassius Rose
Be A Goddess
Goshdarnit Designs
Love Letters and Snippets
Popcorn and Glitter
Flora Foxes
Style Crescent
Concrete Collar
Dream in Neon


How do you promote your blog?
What is your favourite blog post that you've created and why?
What blogger would you most like to meet and why?
Where is your favourite place to visit?
How would you describe your style?
How do you relax after a busy day?
What is your favourite season and why?
What always puts you in a good mood?
What food do you never get sick of?
Twitter, Instagram or Vine?
What inspires you?

I hope this post gave you a little bit of an insight to my life and that you enjoyed reading about my blogging experience thus far. And please check out a few of the blogs that I've linked in this post, I nominated them because I really do love to see their updates in my feed!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness you are so so sweet! Thank you so much! The blogging world is so fun so I'm glad I have been able to encourage others to try it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having a great blog! I enjoy it as you can see! :D

      Delete
  2. I really loved reading your answers! And thank you so much for nominate me! So sweet :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm alone in this but I don't like Haim. After seeing them on Jooles Holland I thought they were a little dull- and the bassist faces made my bassist boyfriend practically wet himself. I think the guitarist is talented but the others I don't "get" - saying that I can see why they're so popular the music is really easy to listen to and wouldn't seem out of place in Topshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the bass face is pretty funny! I think it helps that the first time I heard them was live, they were supporting Florence and the Machine and I started to love them after that.

      Delete
  4. Claire, thanks for the nomination ye mad woman! You're very good:] Everything is fab with me, what abot yourself, how was Berlin? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! All is well, Berlin was FUN! :D x

      Delete
  5. Claire you are such a darling! Thanks so much for the nomination I really appreciate it! I really enjoyed reading your answers (I think that E-course definitely paid off cause your blog is beautiful!!) If you don't mind, I will answer the questions you proposed in this comment (because if I don't do it now, I'm afraid I will procrastinate terribly!) Also, I apologize for getting back to you so late - this week has been awful hahaha.

    1. I don't really promote my blog too aggressively, but I post my work over tumblr generally. I also like to comment on other people's blogs!

    2. My favorite blog post this year has probably been "Honey I can See the Stars" because it has photos from the mountain I visited over in China (this summer was officially the summer where I became obsessed with mountains)

    3. Ah! I would love to meet any blogger I talk to I think! If you are ever in the Chicago area, drop me a note and we can get coffee =D

    4. My favorite place to visit is probably home (suburbs of D.C.): it's boring, but I always feel so relaxed there.

    5. My style is non-existent hahaha. I long realized that I have an inability to dress myself so I made it easier by creating a "uniform". In the winter it's oxfords and sweaters. In the summer it's oxfords and chino shorts. Colors: neutral, but mostly black.

    6. To be honest, I probably relax by studying (perils of being a student). But ideally I like to photo, eat, browse the internet, and daydream about photos I will take.

    7. Spring is my favorite season because it makes me feel hopeful.

    8. My friends always put me in a good mood. They know how to make me laugh.

    9. I can never get sick of rice or tofu. I can eat that stuff forever hhahaha.

    10. I don't use twitter or vine or instagram really, though I find celebrity twitter's most amusing!

    11. I am inspired by so many things, other people's work, dreams, fairytales, traveling. I'm still trying to figure stuff out, but I'm excited to watch the rest of 2014 unfold. It's gonna be a good year =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for answering the questions - great answers also! I would love to visit Chicago so one day I'll take you up on that offer! Message me if you ever come to Dublin! :)

      Delete
  6. Felicitations on the Liebster Award. Your blog is fascinating, inspirational with some great fun photos. I Love IMDB as well and use it to remember where I have seen 'that actor' before!!

    ReplyDelete