Thursday, 30 January 2014

Never Enough Layers

Despite how the photos may appear at first glance, these photos were taken on an extremely rainy and cold day. With a few gusts of wind thrown in at inopportune times (in the photos below you can see parts of my shirt blown into weird angles). It's not that obvious in the picture, but speckles of water can be seen on my skirt and the falling rain is very faint, but visible in certain places, like in front of my tights.

Derry is notorious for having unpredictable weather. But I would be lying if I said that I was unaware that the city would be subject to such unruly weather on the day I planned to take style photos. The day before these photos were taken I told my mum of my plan to do a style photo at the Peace Bridge and she automatically warned me that constant rain was forecast for the next day. However, I was under the impression that shooting in diabolical weather would quench my thirst for a challenge. And, so here I am posting these pictures. My fingers nearly froze over but I managed to get some photos that I'm happy with! Would I take photos in unrelenting rain again? I would, but it's definitely easier to look carefree and stylish when you're not being drenched!

The image on the right was a little Photoshop experiment. I'm unsure if I like it or not.

Another reason why I was so keen to brace the elements for this style photo is because I wanted to enter into a competition which closed the next day. It's Canon's style competition - the lucky winner gets an all expenses paid trip to see Henry Holland's show at London Fashion Week. Amazing! The competition looks for what you want to inspire the AW14 looks. Seeing as I found out about the competition in such short notice, and half of my wardrobe was four hours away in Dublin (one of the pains of living in two places), I couldn't research and impliment the trends for AW14 too much. But, I suppose my ignorance is a good thing because it did ask for what you want to see on the catwalk. And what do I want to see? Layers! Skirts over dresses (à la this outfit), shirts under jumpers over dresses, socks over tights.... Layering is my favourite trend of all time. And it's oh-so practical for the wintery months... Well it would be if you factor in some sort of raincoat, which I didn't for this look. It was definitely style over comfort for this shoot.


Shirt: Topshop // Beads: Vintage // Dress: Exhibit // Skirt: Topshop // Rings: Topshop // Shoes: Primark

*Thanks to my mum for helping me take the photos.

11 comments:

  1. Really pretty outfit! :) And I like that Photoshop experiment haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Yeah I think I'm starting to ~kind of~ like it too! Ha! It's something a bit different I suppose! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely outfit, I love the colours in your pictures. You're so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skirts over dress-awesome idea!! And I love the beaded necklace-pocket chain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these pictures are beautiful, nothing like a challenge :-) it was worth it!!!!

    Hannah x | lovelettersandsnippets

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope never enough layers.. totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scenery behind you!
    Your outfit's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photographs you look so lovely!
    I love your shoes!
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete