Tuesday, 31 December 2013

2013: Done & Dusted

Well, another year has sneaked past me and 2014 is one sleep away. Unsurprisingly, it flew by, so there's a need to slow down and look at the year that passed. Here's what was on my agenda in 2013:

Taking photos: While I only completed 55 days of the 365 project, I took a lot of photos regardless. I also ventured from taking glorified selfies to photographing actual models. Here are a few of my favourite photos that I took this year:

What I'll take from 2013: Taking selfies is a fun way to practice photography, but taking photos of a models can come as a relief when I'm sick of seeing my own face. Here's to more collaborations with models in 2014.
What I'll leave in 2013: The 365 day project. Taking a good photo everyday is just impractical. It's different if you're taking photos to simply document your life but if you want to do proper artistic shoots then I think it is a tad unrealistic if you've got other commitments.

Travelling: I was lucky enough to be able to visit a few places this year... Kicking the year off was my trip to Prague with Fotosoc in January. We had a mental time and even managed to get some pretty pictures out of it!

As soon as I recovered, I felt I needed my fix of the Czech capital once again. So I returned, but not before making a few pit stops around The Netherlands and Germany. On my interrailling stint I discovered Amsterdam, and I fell in love with the friendly people and chilled out atmosphere. One day, I'll live there. We were also unashamed tourists in Berlin and Melissa and I got photos by the wall:

What I'll take from 2013: Travelling for consecutive weeks is more manageable than I first thought. Yes, I came home shattered after my two week gallivant around Europe, but I was okay. I could have managed a full month and still come back an unbroken woman. I think 2014 calls for a longer stint travelling.
What I'll leave in 2013: Spending way too much money when I'm supposed to be on a budget trip. Unfortunately, I didn't realise until after the interrailling that eating every meal in a cafe was costing a bomb (even though it seemed quite cheap at the time).

Celebrating: 2013 was a big year for birthday celebrations. My best friend Sorcha turned 21 in spectacular style, hosting a party complete with glitter, teacups and adorable bunting. Oh and the cake was cut with a machete - pretty standard. My not-so-little-anymore brother turned 18. And I walked into my 21st with a Bohemian bang.

What I'll take from 2013: The macaroons. They look so gorgeous and are pretty tasty too (though I must admit I like them more for their aesthetics).
What I'll leave in 2013: I wish I could leave my birthday in 2013, can't I just be 21 forever? I fear that I'll be feeling less Taylor Swift when I'm 22 and more Greg James.

So, that was my 2013. It's been fun. Now, to see what 2014 has lined up for me. Happy New Year everyone! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment