Friday, 19 October 2012

Patronus Workshop

Yesterday I hosted my first workshop on behalf of Fotosoc and Harry Potter Soc. Or maybe that should read "I taught my first Defence Against the Dark Arts" lesson, seeing as the tutorial was to do with summoning your Patronus (using Photoshop).

During the day of the event I felt stressed; generally worried about how the workshop would run. Then, an hour before the tutorial, I found out that the projector in the Mac lab wasn't working. One mini-freak out later, followed by a last minute room change, and it all ran smoothly from there.

There were around 10 attendees, most of them were completely new to Photoshop, which made for a slow and enjoyable teaching pace. I walked everyone through the basics of Photoshop, and helped people with using the Macs, which, as I can remember from last year, are tricky to use the first few times. Despite the fact that there were a lot of PS newbies, we got some great creations. Check out Fotosoc's Facebook album here. Below is Licia Carlesi and her Patronus, a cute elephant!

Image credit: Licia Carlesi

The workshop lasted around an hour, and, it seems to me that the participants enjoyed themselves. I had fun helping them out too, and I have a few ideas for future Harry Potter and Fotosoc link-ups. Imagine me teaching a class how to correctly pronounce "Wingardium Leviosa", and you'll get an idea of what I'm thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment