Sunday, 21 October 2012

Lomography, Dee and Me

I went into town today with a mission in mind: To buy a Lomography camera. My Mum had topped up my account with birthday money, and I was ready to splurge. So I ignored my rational side (logic that screamed "DON'T YOU DARE GET RIPPED OFF AT HIPSTER CENTRAL") and entered Urban Outfitters, later leaving with a new toy camera in my life. The Diana F+.

My heart was thumping as I typed my pin number. I have longed for a Lomo camera for at least three years. It was definitely the most exciting purchase I've made recently! After the surprisingly inexpensive purchase (Urban Outfitters had a special 20% discount for students) I skipped across the road to a cute cafe to become acquainted with my new best friend Diana.

I just about managed to resist the urge to take a snap of my meal, I had been hipster enough for one day. Even if I had wanted to score an 8.9 on the Hipster Scale and photograph my food with my Lomo, it would have meant eating very chilly chips, as it took me half an hour to figure out how to load the film. I sorted it out eventually. As I wondered what my first photo should be a girl sitting close by began to chat to me about my camera. Her name was Laragh, and she told me about how she bought a Diana F+ in the summer, and will soon be developing her first roll of film. She also gave me advice on the best place to get film, as it's much cheaper if you know what shop to pop into.

Laragh was lovely, and I decided that she would be the perfect subject for my first ever film photograph. So I took her picture, whilst thinking "I have no idea what I'm doing". Later when I used the camera again I realised that I hadn't wound the film enough. I don't think I got a photo of Laragh after all. Such a shame. I'll have to wait till I develop my film to find out, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

This photo makes me laugh. It looks like I'm just like "OH HAI THERE, I didn't see you, just taking a pic", when the reality is I am crouching before my DSLR on a tripod with the self timer on.

I took some images in Dublin with my DSLR (see below). I decided to edit them so they boost a similar effect to ones from a Lomo camera. You may question why I'd bother with a Lomo camera, when I can use Photoshop to create the same effect. The answer can be shortened to a single word: Adventure. While I love taking photos with my Canon DSLR, and no film version could replace it, using it can be an entirely calculated experience. I adjust the aperture, shutter speed, I point, I shoot, I review. The experience of using Diana to document my life is undeniably different. The flexibility of the settings is limited. For example, in terms of shutter speed I have two options N or B (don't ask me what they mean, I haven't got my head around that yet). With a DSLR you can snap at a speed from anywhere between forever and a gazillionth of a second. Diana strips it down to a minimum. Often the results may be blurry or unflattering, but who cares? It's all part of the fun! And who knows... Maybe some where amongst all the horrible first photos I take, there'll be a gem.


1 comment:

  1. I hope your film comes out well :) Have you seen my latest post? You can get a free £10 for the online lomo shop! It sounds like you might like that even if it’s just to get some cool film!
    Charlotte xxx

    www.charlottesweb-photography.com

    ReplyDelete